RyanVM.net Discussion Board Forum Index RyanVM.net Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(Question) - Windows Update repeatedly prompting for KB95575

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RyanVM.net Discussion Board Forum Index -> Community Update Packs -> Windows XP Professional
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mulgie

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: (Question) - Windows Update repeatedly prompting for KB955759 Reply with quote

Hi people,

I've tried a doing a search for this topic and couldn't see anything similar but apologies if this has already been explained elsewhere.

Does anyone have any idea why windows update keeps nagging me to install KB955759 despite it already being installed via an Update Pack?

I use Onepiece's packs normally but have also tried switching to User_Hidden's QFE pack to get rid of this and this update still appears. Even if I let Windows Update go ahead and install it I am then prompted to install it again next time the PC fires up. Hiding the update is a workaround for now but this means I have to fire up Windows Update and manually hide it for every PC I set up.

I did some digging around and found that this hotfix relates to the Intel Indeo Video Codec and so I tried stripping Indeo Video out of my source files with Nlite but this still makes no difference.

If anyone could shed some light onto this I'd be very grateful.

Cheer.
5eraph

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make certain you are not using nLite to remove anything related to Application Compatibility. The necessary files for KB955759 are aclayers.dll and sysmain.sdb.
Mulgie

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 5eraph,

Thanks for the advice, I'll check that out and report back.

Cheers.
Mulgie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 5eraph,

Well, I tried EVERYTHING to try and get this thing to work and stripped my install disk back in stages right down to the bare metal but alas with no joy. Confused

Fortunately, I've done some more digging on Google and found this post on a Wincert forum by the living legend Mr_Smartepants...
http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?/topic/5429-xptsp-gui-v2204-april-17-2010/page__st__400

...where he randomly links back to a page on this very site no less - So much for the 'Search' function eh?
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102587#102587

I am actually already using mkisofs and not CDImage but I'm currently using different switches and so I'm going to try now with the parameters in that post and hopefully this will do the trick.

I'll keep you posted...

:EDIT - Correction I *WAS* using CDImage in my batch file and so MKISOFS *SHOULD* work now! Embarassed
Mulgie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

OK, I was using CDImage with the following line to create my disk:

cdimage.exe -lXP_Multi_v15_4_4 -t01/01/2006,12:00:00 -b\DVD\BCDW\loader.bin -h -n -o -m \DVD E:\ISOs\Nlite_XP_SP3\XP_Multi_v15_4_4.iso

I have now tried following the form in that post mentioned above and so my MKISOFS command looks like this:

mkisofs -joliet-long -iso-level 2 -N -d -relaxed-filenames -duplicates-once -D -boot-load-size 4 -no-emul-boot -volid "XP_Multi_v15_4_5" -sysid "Win32" -b E:\DVD\BCDW\loader.bin -o "E:\ISOs\Nlite_XP_SP3\XP_Multi_v15_4_4.iso" "E:\DVD"

Unfortunately, all this gives me is a 34k corrupt ISO. If anybody has any ideas why that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
5eraph

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I don't know much about mkisofs or cdimage command lines. Is there a reason that the default mkisofs parameters in RVMi don't work for you?
Mulgie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 5eraph,

Sadly neither Nlite or RVM Integrator seem able to burn AIO-DVDs as they both look for an i386 folder in the root of the disk.

As a consequence I instead wrote a simple batch file to create my ISO images and this has worked perfectly for me until this KB955759 issue reared its ugly head. Smile

Fortunately, from your advice I now know what parameters the RVM Integrator uses to burn its disks as it's written in the log file and so I'll give those a try tomorrow and hopefully that will be me sorted.

Thanks again for your time and advice fella. Wink
Mulgie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARGH - This has turned into a bl00dy SAGA! Smile

Used MKISOFS with params Mr_Smartepants gave in the post linked above but no matter what I set as the path to the boot image I always got an 'mkisofs: Uh oh, I cant find the boot image...' error.

After much searching I finally found out that the boot image path is relative to the *source* files location and NOT the executable's location!? Uber random. Anyhow, I have now overcome that initial hurdle and have a full-size 4GB+ image that boots and displays my boot menu correctly - Woohoo... or so I thought.

I now have the problem that no matter which menu option I choose on my AIO-DVD disk I am instantly given an error message from Windows saying 'Line 1 of the INF File WINNT.SIF Is Invalid. Setup cannot continue'.

So, I did some more searching on that one and found a Micrsoft article that suggests ensuring the WINNT.SIF is encoded as ANSI. Unfortunately, my file already is so I'm at a complete loss. I'm guessing that there's some switch I need to add/remove from my MKISOFS command that changes the ISO's file encoding, maybe I shouldn't use Joliet as none of my CDImage ISOs were in that format?

I really am at my wit's end now and am contemplating going back to using CDImage and just hiding this KB955759 again as this MKISOFS program is a right can of worms.

I'm really sorry that this has gone so off-topic but I'm hoping that if I do get an answer to this it will hopefully help out lots of other people who are in this same, stupid KB955759 boat.

EDIT: Removed my repeated command descriptions - Yes, it seems I AM losing the plot... Rolling Eyes
mr_smartepants

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using PowerPacker? It's designed for making multi-OS discs and uses a different string for mkisofs.
http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151

Some heroes don't wear capes, they wear Kevlar and dog-tags!
Mulgie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 5eraph/mr_smartepants,

Right then, I've finally come up with a solution to my issue. Although it's a bit of a workaround. It does also take my post back to being a bit more relevant to this forum too! Smile

After giving up on MKISOFS I went back to the drawing board. I extracted the files aclayers.dll and sysmain.sdb from Onepiece's 3.6.2 and then downloaded the KB955759 package and extracted the contents to compare the file hashes.

The KB955759 package contains 4 sets of the aforementioned 2 files, ordered into SP2GDR, SP2QFE, SP3GDR and SP3QFE. As we're only interested in the SP3 sets I compared GDR vs QFE. On first glance the version numbers and sizes for both these SP3 sets are identical but on closer inspection the files hashes were different. The files extracted from Onepiece's 3.6.2 pack matched the SP3 QFE files as expected.

I read somewhere a while ago that while most Update packs use the QFE stream, Windows Update instead uses the GDR development stream for it's updates. On a gut feeling I took a gamble and replaced the existing QFE aclayers.dll and sysmain.sdb files on my 'moaning' system with the GDR versions by copying these into both the C:\Windows\AppPatch and System32\DllCache folders, overwriting the originals.

Lo and behold, when I went to Windows Update now and did a scan I was no longer prompted to install the KB955759 and all seems to be well again!!! Cool

All I need to do now (I think) is just add a line to my cleanup.cmd that copies these files over and that should be it I reckon. Really hope this helps out someone else with this issue. Wink

As an aside, during my travels online I also found out that CDImage has been renamed OSCDIMG.EXE and the latest version that was used with Vista appears to be 2.55.

You can get it from this forum:
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/58-CDimage-2.52-Download/page5

Documentation is here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749036(WS.10).aspx

Seems to be a bit faster than the older CDImage but still uses the same switches and so theoretically you could rename the exe to CDImage.exe and then use it with RVM Integrator or NLite I think? Smile

EDIT: Thanks a lot for all your sterling advice and suggestions fellas, I really do appreciate your help. This is what makes this such a fantastic forum.
Mulgie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_smartepants: Thanks for the recommendation, I will indeed investigate Siginet's XP Powerpacker. I've been using his Office Updater for a good while now but never got around to trying out the former so cheers for the tip fella! Wink
Mulgie

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** MYSTERY SOLVED!!! ***

Well people, I'm a stubborn git and so hate to let a problem beat me. As a result I have perservered with this issue and thankfully after a month of climbing the walls I finally found the answer.

As I mentioned in my last post above I thought I had cracked this issue and so I modified my CLEANUP.CMD batch file to copy the GDR files, overwriting the existing QFE files as this had already worked on a completed installation. Unfortunately, this didn't work for an unattended install and so I was stumped. The files HAD all been copied over and the MD5 hashes matched but I was STILL being prompted for the update.

That got me thinking and so on (another) gut feeling I copied over the QFE versions of the 2 files from a USB stick as a test and sure enough the annoying WU prompt went away! It seemed to make no difference whether it was the QFE or GDR files that were changed and so the only other thing I could see that was changing was...

The *TIME STAMP*.

Mr_smartepants had already said that switching to using MKISOFS solved this issue for him and I had never saw any mention of setting the time and date of files during my failed attempts to use MKISOFS. This fact combined with the knowledge that CDIMAGE/OSCDIMG is Microsoft's own tool and SHOULD bl00dy work OK for Microsoft disks helped me come up with my theory that the Time Stamp was indeed to blame.

The CDIMAGE command-line switches I have been using for the last 2 years include this switch to reset the timestamp of every file on the disk to midnight 01/01/2006:

-t01/01/2006,12:00:00

I pulled the entire list of switches I use from a forum a long time ago and as they have always worked up until now I've never questioned the timestamp being done and assumed that it was necessary for the XP DVD to work correctly.

So, having stripped that particular switch out of my 'makeiso.bat' command I created another image and RESULT - No more nagging! Smile

All I can guess is that for some mad reason Microsoft Update examines the timestamp of the files when checking for updates for this update alone. Very random but who are we to question Microsoft? ;-P

Well, at least I can sleep at night again...

Cheers.

p.s. mr_smartepants, I did give XP Powerpacker a look but there didn't seem to be any documentation and the online manual pages just say 'Coming Soon' and so this is why I carried on - Didn't ignore your advice, thanks again for your help squire! Wink
5eraph

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got the issue sorted. I would never have guessed that timestamps were to blame. Smile
Mulgie

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 5eraph, I too am baffled as to why the timestamps caused this, especially on this one specific update and no other.

I've tracked down the place where I'd gotten all my CDIMAGE command switches from back to Andregcasal's Multi-Boot DVD guide here on the MSFN site:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/74862-how-to-multi-boot-dvd-guide/

Think that's this post resolved now so I'll quit my waffling - over and out! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RyanVM.net Discussion Board Forum Index -> Community Update Packs -> Windows XP Professional All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: